Earth Week Plus Expo Display Tables and Interactive Booths
We have a great display line-up for the 2019 Expo! Displays will open at 10:00 am and be available for Expo guests to visit until 1:45 pm on EWP Expo Day: Saturday, April 13th, 2019. (Cheboygan High School will be open for display set-up starting at 9:00 am.)
2019 Displays For Earth Week Plus Expo:
1. WHY WOLVES MATTER
Wolf artifacts, Photos, & more. Find out why wolves matter.
2. HAMMOND BAY BIO-STATION LIVE LAMPREYS: NO, THEY ARE NOT EELS!!
See these creatures up close..get a free Lamprey Bite sticker.
3. LITTLE TRAVERSE CONSERVANCY: Animal pelts, skulls, antlers, etc. – Nature’s beauty to touch and see
4. STRAITS OF MACKINAC ALLIANCE: ENBRIDGE LINE 5
Learn about the 65-year-old pipeline carrying crude-oil & natural gas liquids under the Straits of Mackinac.
5. CHEBOYGAN COUNTY 4-H
4H members show live animals in the courtyard; See amazing 4H projects.
6. TOP OF MICHIGAN TRAILS COUNCIL
Learn how to tune up your bike for maximum performance on Cheboygan’s many trails. Find out why Cheboygan is a Trail Town.
7. PIGEON RIVER COUNTRY STATE FOREST
In 1918, a small herd of Western elk was released near Wolverine, in an attempt to restore an animal whose native population had been exterminated. Learn about these majestic creatures, how they are managed, & why PRC is now the heart of Michigan’s elk range.
8. SEEDUMS GARDEN CLUB
Create a dragonfly art project, and learn about these amazing insects.
9. PERENNIAL GARDEN CLUB
Plant your own milkweed seed planters to take home. Attract Monarch Butterflies to your garden.
10. TIP OF THE MITT WATERSHED COUNCIL
Get your hands wet! Interactive Watershed Model; See samples of aquatic invasives; live macroinvertebrates to examine.
11. STURGEON FOR TOMORROW
See live baby sturgeon in an aquarium. Have your picture taken with a large adult sturgeon mount!
12. MIKE SUPERNAULT
Mike shares his collections: From dinosaur teeth to Insects, rocks, and fossils! These items from the natural world give the viewer a better understanding of the beauty, variety & complexity of the world we inhabit.
13. UNIVERSITY of MICHIGAN BIOLOGICAL STATION
Learn about this amazing property: History and information about activities. See trail maps; find out about the Summer Lecture Series, Class Schedules, and more.
14. MACKINAC STRAITS RAPTOR WATCH
Learn about the hawks & owls that migrate through our area and the Straits of Mackinac. Learn how you can participate in Raptor Watch.
15. CHEBOYGAN COUNTY HUMANE SOCIETY
Healthy and humane pet care explained. See photos of adoptable pets. Live animals! Spaying and neutering information will be available.
16. NATIVE WAYS, TRADITIONAL ARTS
Go inside a full-sized native bark house; see native crafts, arts, and items used daily by Michigan indigenous tribes long ago. See how maple syrup was made long ago by native people. Syrup will be available for purchase.
17. STRAITS AREA AUDUBON SOCIETY
Visit the amazing Discovery Room: Nests, bones, feathers, skulls, snakeskins…so much to see, touch & explore!
18. LITTLE TRAVERSE BAY BANDS of ODAWA INDIANS
Find out about the many LTBB initiatives that help to protect and clean up our environment.
19. KEY CLUB of CHEBOYGAN
Bring your used printer cartridges for recycling. Your donation will help them earn money for their trips and projects from recycling the cartridges.
20.YOOPERLITES! Glowing rocks?? WOW! See these amazing Upper Peninsula stones & find out why they glow.
21. NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE – NOAA
Weather experts will have rain & snow gauges, weather radio, weather balloon, tornado simulator – and more!
22. SALVATION ARMY THRIFT STORE
Reduce your carbon footprint by donating AND purchasing used clothing and household items. Proceeds are used to help those in need. Recycle, re-use, AND help others!
23. DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL QUALITY
Learn about the formation of the Michigan Basin, bedrock geology, Michigan mining, rocks and minerals of Michigan, glaciers, glacial deposits, fossils. Find out about transitioning from non-renewable to renewable energy sources, Recycling/Re-use/Reduce principles & DEQ’s responsibility to protect the public, natural resources, and the environment. Hands-On activities for the kids: Explore rock porosity and permeability!
24.ZERO WASTE-REDUCE PLASTICS
Learn some creative ways to reduce the use of plastic in your life – and WHY you should do it.
26. U.S. GEOLOGICAL SURVEY RESEARCH VESSELS
Did you know that Cheboygan is the home port for three research ships? Learn about the amazing science they perform.
27. FERNELIUS TOYOTA
See the newest energy-saving vehicle.
28. PRESQUE ISLE ELECTRIC & GAS CO-OP
What is Energy Optimization? Find out AND get free giveaways.
29. WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP THE EARTH!! Share your ideas that will help our planet: Everyone can make a difference!
30.THUNDER BAY CHIEF HEALTH CENTER: Proper disposal of unwanted medications is important for human and environmental health. Studies show that pharmaceuticals are present in all surface and groundwater, posing risks to amphibians, fish, wildlife, and bacteria. Learn how and where to dispose of unwanted medications safely & responsibly.
31. AIRNORTH COMMUNICATIONS: On your way into the Expo, AirNorth will have curbside drop-off for your unusable computers, laptops, monitors, servers, printers, circuit boards, mobile phones, telephone systems, routers, switches, video equipment, cables, plugs, wiring, and batteries of all sizes–no charge! Reusable parts will be harvested, and the rest recycled. (There will be a disposal charge for CRT TVs -bulky, with glass screens)
32. CHEBOYGAN INTERMEDIATE SCHOOL: Fifth graders who are participating in the Sturgeon in the Classroom program share their student projects. Learn the history of sturgeon in Cheboygan County, sturgeon life cycles, and fun facts about these amazing animals. Find out why they became a threatened species.
33. HEADLANDS INTERNATIONAL DARK SKY PARK: Only 65 Dark Sky parks in the whole world, and we have one in our own up-north backyard! Learn all about it.